When the first few versions and generations of the iPods and the iPhone were introduced in the market, consumers have no choice. Once these gadgets where purchased, consumers have no choice but to toe the line set by Apple; what they can only install on their gadgets are the apps that are sanctioned, allowed and distributed by Apple on the iTunes. Not this time though.
Installing 3rd Party iPod Touch Apps
Recent hacks and researches have allowed users of the gadgets to find the backdoor in tweaking the iPod and in making sure that the gadget can accommodate third party applications. Enter jail-breaking. Thanks to this process, owners of the iPod Touch like the iPod Touch 4.2 can now jailbreak iPod Touch 4.2 and allow for the entry of third part apps not found on iTunes. Sometimes, the best apps are not found on iTunes and the only way for you to get these is to jailbreak iPod Touch 4.2.
Important Reminder When Jailbreaking iPod Touch
Before you proceed with the process, keep in mind that it is recommended to jailbreak un-tethered if the iPod is backed by an older IOS hardware. For the newer device, you may need to jailbreak every time the gadget is re-boot.
Also, keep in mind that the jail-breaking process should be done with care. Failure to follow the right steps will render the device un-useable. And what’s the worst thing that can happen to your gadget? You will lose your claim for warranty! And for the purpose of this tutorial, the ‘redsn0w’ will be used.
How you can jailbreak iPod Touch 4.2
1. You need to download the ‘redsn0w’. You can download this by using the iUserbar. And on the iUserbar, click on the iOS 4.2.1 firmware in order to start the download.
2. Once the application has been downloaded, click on ‘Browse’.
3. Search for the ‘IPSW’ that has been downloaded, and ‘Open’ it. The window for the application will show the message ‘IPSW’ successfully identified’. Select ‘Next’ in order to continue to the next step.
4. You will be prompted with the message ‘Please select which options you would like to have’. Select ‘Install Cydia’ and proceed to ‘Next’.
5. The application will prompt you to put the iPod on ‘OFF’ and you will be asked to plug the iPod into the computer, and click on ‘Next’.
6. Connect the device in the DFU mode, and hold the ‘Power’ for a few seconds. While pressing this button, you also need to press down ‘Home’ for at least 10 seconds.
7. Without releasing the ‘Home’, release ‘Power’ and continue on holding the ‘Home’ button for the next 30 seconds.
8. If the procedure is not followed correctly, then the screen will tell you that the ‘DFU Mode Failed’ which means you have to start over again.
9. And you will know that the process has been successful if the Cydia icon is seen once the gadget has been re-started!
With the icon displayed, you can now start looking and downloading for applications that are not found on the iTunes yet useful for everyday business transactions.