You do not have to be a programmer guru or a web development master before you can jailbreak an iPod Touch. In fact, the steps are simple and easy even your teen can do it for you (but you would not really like to do that).
How To Jailbreak iPod Touch 3G
For this tutorial we are going to use Redsn0w, one of the most recognized jailbreaking tools in the Internet:
1. Download the original firmware file of your device. This means you need to get 3.0 first before you can proceed. Save it in your desktop.
2. Download your iTunes. If you still have the old version, it is time to update it. Before you jailbreak, copy all your files to your computer.
3. Download Redsn0w. Do not get it anywhere else. Do not forget to choose to if you are using Mac or Windows.
4. Connect your iPod Touch 3G to your PC. Usually, iTunes will immediately open since it is synced it to your device. You do not need iTunes just yet, unless you are planning to create a backup for your files, so you can close it.
5. Turn the iPod off by pressing long the Power button.
6. Open Redsn0w.
7. Edit your existing firmware to create a custom one. Browse for the ipsw file from the desktop (or wherever you saved it).
8. Click Open.
9. Wait until Redsn0w is done with its customization. You do not have to do anything at this point. You will know, though, that it is already complete since a prompt will appear, telling you so.
10. Install Cydia by choosing such option. (Another option is Icy, but Cydia is the most recommended and usually the default.)
11. Change the status of your Touch to DFU mode. To do this, you need to make sure that your iPod is still turned off. Then press Sleep/Wake and Home buttons together. Let go of the Sleep/Wake button after 10 seconds but not the Home button. You have to wait for iTunes to tell you that your iPod Touch is in recovery mode.
12. Release the Home button and let Redsn0w do the rest. Wait until everything is done, and your device reboots.
Jailbreak iPod Touch 3G Tips
1. Forgetting changing to DFU mode does not cause any damage to your Touch, but you should never skip it either. This is important just in case you cannot restore phone back with recovery mode.
2. A lot of people found success jailbreaking their Touch, but that does not mean you cannot commit mistakes along the way. That is why you need to follow the steps properly. Read the commands. If you are unsure of what you are doing, you can always end the process and clarify some of the instructions to an expert, preferably the one who came up with the directions.
3. It is not illegal to jailbreak, but it voids your warranty, so be very careful. Don’t do it unless you are not willing to take the risks.