Some iPod and iPhone users have this thinking that jailbreaking their iPods and other Apple gadgets will get them in the way of the law. And this is the reason why most users and tech freaks are shying away from any contents and resources on jailbreaking. But is this thinking with basis? If you are part of the crowd with apprehensions, then keep in mind that jailbreaking the iPod is legal.
Is It Possible To Jailbreak iPod Touch 2.2.1?
Yes, you can jailbreak iPod Touch 2.2.1 or any other versions of the gadget. And when you do it properly then you actually ‘liberate’ your iPod Touch 2.2.1, which means that you now have access to the root file system and you will be given the liberty to modify and to install other third party applications not seen in iTunes.
What you should know before you jailbreak iPod Touch 2.2.1
Though perfectly legal and sets up your iPod to become a truly a personalized gadget, it is important to note that there are some repercussions that can happen if this is not done properly. For example, this may affect the gadget and will be inoperable when used with the iTunes. And in some cases, this will void the warranty of your iPod. If you are willing to take the risk, then dive on.
Here’s how to jailbreak iPod Touch 2.2.1
1. Download the 2.2.1 firmware and this should be saved on the computer. And if possible you can create a folder for the ‘Quickpwn’. For the purpose of this guide, the ‘Quickpwn’ is used.
2. Download the ‘Quickpwn’ 2.2.5, and unzip the folder.
3. You should connect the iPod to the computer, and allow iTunes to detect the gadget.
4. This will allow you to update the iPod to the firmware 2.2.1, or you have the option to restore 2.2.1.
5. Now launch the ‘Quickpwn’ which was already downloaded.
6. The application will automatically detect the gadget. And if detected, you can use the browser and select the firmware that was downloaded earlier.
7. A green check mark will be displayed if the correct firmware has been selected.
8. You will be asked to install the ‘Cydia’ into the iPod, and click ‘Next’.
9. There will be a prompt that will tell you to connect the device using the USB, and click on continue.
10. The iPod Touch will be put on recovery mode, and once done do the following steps:
• Hold the ‘Home’ button for at least 5 seconds. And after that, hold the ‘Power’ button for another 10 seconds.
• Release the ‘Power’ and continuously hold on the ‘Home’ until the iPod gets into the DFI mode. If you have done this correctly, then you will be prompted that the jailbreaking process is ongoing.
If the directions get messy, and the gadget did not go into the DFU mode then you have to start over again.
And installing your next set of third party applications will have to wait.