When you see some new iPod Touch applications online, do you drool as if you’ve found the most delectable ice cream? That would have been no issue, really—if you’re not using iPhone 3GS or iPod Touch with iOS4.
Apple is strict. It populates its store and iTunes with loads of new apps, iPod music, and other supposed must-haves so you don’t need to look somewhere else. But there are times when apps are never enough. Or perhaps you’re bored in how your iPhone or iPod Touch is appearing.
The best solution available is to jailbreak your iPod Touch.
What Do We Mean When We Jailbreak iOS4?
As its name suggests, jailbreaking is accessing something without an authorized person’s consent. In the case of Apple and its gadgets, you jailbreak so you can get into its software, change its run code, and allow the device to accept and operate applications and modifications not approved by the manufacturer.
It may sound like a clandestine plan, but it’s not. A lot of Touch and iPhone owners do this. You’ll find countless tutorials–in texts, podcasts, and videos—in the Internet. They may even be featured by world-renowned tech magazines both online and offline.
People jailbreak because they want to gain more control on their devices. To make things more pleasing, it is actually legal to do so. In 2010, the U.S. Library of Congress has officially decided that every owner has the right to jailbreak if it means the improvement and customization of the device for convenience.
But that doesn’t mean you win against Apple. The manufacturer still considers it a mortal sin, and though they couldn’t run after you, they can immediately void your warranty.
iOS4 Jailbreak Using Pwnage Tool
There are actually plenty of apps for iPod Touch you can use for jailbreaking. These include Redsn0w, GreenPois0n, and Sn0wbreeeze. If you want a step-by-step guide on how to jailbreak a 3GS iOS4 iPhone and Touch, you can go to their respective websites. As for today, you will learn how to do the process with Pwnage Tool 4.0:
1. Download the latest version of iTunes. If you have the old one, you can remove it and download the new one or search for updates.
2. Sync your iPod or iPhone to your PC. This is to create a backup for all your files. You never really know what’s going to happen during jailbreaking. One of the worst-case scenarios is it wouldn’t work as it should, and you need to restore your device to factory settings.
3. Download the iOS4 firmware file as well as the Pwnage Tool 4.0. Take note of the generation or the version of your Touch or iPhone. Save them in an easily recognizable folder or your desktop.
4. Run the tool and choose your device, which is either iPhone or iPod.
5. If prompted about an iPhone contract, choose No. If you’re supported by a particular carrier such as AT&T, choose Yes.
6. Wait for the tool to come up with a file known as .ipsw. You’ll receive a Success screen if the tool’s already done creating the file.
7. Restore the iPod Touch using the newly created file. To do it, press the phone’s icon found in your iTunes. Then hold the Shift button of the keyword. Press Restore in the iTunes and remove your finger from Shift.
8. Trace the location of the custom firmware file and press OK.
9. Wait until iTunes has installed the firmware to your phone.
Jailbreak iPhone 3GS iOS4: Important Note
Follow the instructions properly. Don’t be foolish to try something new, remove the iPod from the computer, or change or take a shortcut.