Though jailbreaking is discouraged by Apple, you may still want to do it in order to add many applications and make your gadget more useful.
How to Jailbreak iPod Touch 4.0
There are several software or applications you can use for jailbreaking the iPod Touch. The tutorial you are going to read today is for users of Redsn0w:
1. Download the firmware (iOS 4) for your iPod Touch.
2. Download the latest version of iTunes. Then update the firmware.
3. Download Redsn0w and run it. Go down to Enable and follow the path where your firmware file is located.
4. Click Open.
5. Press Install Cydia.
6. Plug the iPod Touch to your PC with your iTunes running and turn it off.
7. Click Next.
8. Press the buttons and Power together to go into recovery mode.
9. Hold Power button then the Home button.
10. Release the Power button but continue holding Home until the start of the installation.
11. Wait until the software has completed the jailbreaking process. You will know it is successful if it reboots immediately and you will see the Cydia icon.
Note: Redsn0w has a very friendly wizard. Its walk-through should not be difficult to follow even for someone as inexperienced as you.
Jailbreak iPod Touch 4.0 Notes
There are a couple of things you should never forget. First of all, jailbreaking is very risky. If it doesn’t end up being successful and your device gets damaged, you cannot count on your warranty for repair. In fact, you’ll lose it. Jailbreaking is a breach to the terms and conditions you agreed to when you purchased iPod Touch.
It’s also necessary to create a backup of all your files. You can do this by connecting the iPod Touch to your PC through a USB cable. iTunes will immediately open if both (iTunes and iPod Touch) are synced. You can then transfer all your files in the library.
Moreover, follow the directions in jailbreaking. Avoid making any shortcuts or modifying some of the steps. If something is unclear to you, go back to your source. Ask the person who made the directions. Again, jailbreaking can damage your device.
Don’t forget to secure your gadget after jailbreaking. There are some instructions you can now follow online. This is important since some jailbreaking directions may compromise your data safety. If not, you may obtain third-party applications that are actually malware.
The Legality of Jailbreak iPod touch 3G 4.0
Surely one of the questions you have about jailbreaking is its legality. Will I go to jail if I jailbreak my iPod Touch. Fortunately, there’s already an official ruling for this one. According to the U.S. Library of Congress, it’s no trouble to jailbreak your own phone. You’re entitled to do whatever you want with your phone.
But then again, you should never forget what we said a while ago: you could lose your warranty, which may still be good for a year or two. You should only do jailbreaking if you’re willing to take the possible consequences.