Napster, the founder of digital music, owns one of the largest music catalogues with over 15 million songs. Napster does not only offer access to music but already paved its way towards mobility, quality, and social networking.
Napster archive of over 15 million tracks
- Music is added daily as soon as it is released.
- Can be played through MP3 players including Apple iPods, Zune and Android gadgets. It can also be imported to iTunes or Windows Media Player and other MP3 compatible software.
- Music quality varies from 256 kbps stereo,128 kbps and 64kbps depending on whether the music is downloaded or streamed and the device used.
Accessibility and Mobility
- Listen to any track via 3G or Wi-Fi connection.
- Offline access
- Automatic sync between PC and mobile device
Distinctive Music Features
- Radio stations and playlists are programmed Napster’s music experts
- Mood Manager offers song choices compatible with your current mood.
- Discovering new music to suit your taste through Napster’s recommendation engine and Automix. Automix can provide custom-generated playlist in reference to your previous song choices.
Napster Download Manager
- It is a free application which automatically adds downloaded Napster songs to iTunes, Window’s Media Player or other preferred music folder.
30-second song samples
- You can window shop songs by listening to the 30-second music samplers before buying.
Facebook and Twitter
- Share your music to keep your friends updated with your playlist.
- Napster is only available to limited countries.
- competitor sites offer free full-length songs
- Napster Download Manager is not compatible with Mac
Membership Plans offered by Napster
1. Napster Unlimited
Price: £5/month or £50/year
Unlimited streaming without advertisements. You can only access your music from computers with an internet connection.
2. Napster Unlimited plus Mobile
Price: £10/month or £100/year
All the features of Napster Unlimited with additional mobility. All the music you have chosen from Napster catalogue can now be accessed from your Apple or Android mobile devices. The tracks can be played via 3G, Wi-Fi, or offline.
3. Napster MP3 Store
Price: around £0.49/song or £4.99/album
Gives you the opportunity to buy only the songs you want without monthly subscriptions.
Prepaid cards can also be used in Napster. Requirements for payment include credit or debit card, a PayPal or ClickandBuy account.
In conclusion, continuously updated collection of songs and its unique features such as its Mood Manager, Automix and recommendation engine are some of Napster’s edge against its competitors. The 30-second music preview is useful but may not be enough to cover the vital parts of certain songs. This problem can be addressed by subscribing to Napster’s membership plans. Weaknesses include limited availability to other countries, lack of free song offers and Mac compatibility of the download manager. Other than that, Napster is a reliable site bringing a smorgasbord of quality music at your fingertips.
Do you have any Napster stories to share? Did you find this article useful? Write your questions, comments, and suggestions below.