If you have not been living under a rock, then you probably know that Android is one of the most popular operating systems being used currently for smart phones.
As you may know, most Android phone users get their favorite apps and games from the Android Market. But what if, for some reason, you want to get it from somewhere else?
What if Android Market is not the one for you? Well, for cases like this, what we usually recommend is for you to install.apk files. Once installed, you have to run it for you to be able to read non-market apps.
However, before you can do this, you have to “re-train” your phone to read and install files that are not from the Market.
Enabling your Phone to Read Non-Market Apps
Navigate to Menu, go to Settings and then click on Applications. Under Applications, check the box signifying unknown sources. Now, you are ready to start working with other app sources.
Install apps using Astro File Manager
Download and install Astro File Manager
Step 1: You can get it from their website or –ironically –from the Android Market. Once you have installed this, though, you can do away with the market and start using non-market apps.
Step 2: Copy the .apk file to your SD card. Do this by connecting your Android to your PC through a USB cable. Activate the SD card and start copying your .apk file to your phone.
Step 3: Install .apk by selecting it using your downloaded File manager. You will then be presented with an option to Open App Manager. Click this option. The next two pages will repeatedly ask you if you would like to install the .apk.
Step 4: Click install both occasions. Now, you app is installed!
Install apps using DropBox
- Download .apk file to the Dropbox folder in your computer.
- Sync your computer with your phone.
- Using your smart phone, open the Dropbox, go to the folder with the .apk file, then click the file.
- Dropbox will automatically download the file for you, and your file will install shortly.
Install apps using Online Apk Installer.
This installer lets you download .apk files straight to your device. In a way, it is more complicated as it requires scanning barcodes. However, in a way, it is less tedious also as you don’t have to sync files from your computer to your phone every time you have a new file. It all depends on your preference. Here are the steps to start using this installer.
- Upload your file online by logging onto apkinstall.com. There, you will have the option to “browse files…” Choose this and select the .apk file from your PC. You have 15 minutes to operate with your file online.
- Scan the QR code that will be provided for you in the website. Scan this code with your Android’s barcode scanner app or Google Goggles. Once finished, a download link for your file will appear on your phone.
- Download the file by clicking on the link.
- Install the file by clicking on the downloaded app and going through the installation pages. The process is fairly easy and straightforward.
So there you have it: 3 ways to install your non-market apps. Now, it is all up to you which one to use depending on your preference. Now, you can download apps for your phone without using the conventional Android Market. Download away and enjoy!
Then feel free to leave comments on how this article has helped you.